Monday, April 9, 2012

1398

April 8, 2012

my mimosa did not look or taste nearly this appetizing
Blue Mesa Grill
Plano, Texas

I've already been to Blue Mesa for dinner, so figured it would be cheating to count it again. But I had to go back for brunch, since it is known as the best brunch in the area. Blue Mesa has a good marketing program for their "chilihead" members. (Of course I had to sign up to be a chili head and get free stuff). Last month they sent me a  coupon for a free meyer lemon tart, which I never used. They also gifted me with FREE brunch for my birthday, which I was determined to use. I picked the worst day of the year to go--Easter. Although Mother's Day might be worse. It was packed and the hostess had no idea how long the wait would be for 6 people. She told me it could be 2 hours or more. I told my husband that it would be only 1 hour. It was loud, crowded and the staff seemed incredibly stressed out. A lot of folks must have left, because we got our table exactly at the 1 hr. mark. The mimosas lacked verve--no sparkle or taste, but they were free flowing. Despite the long lines waiting at the buffet lines (I felt like herded cattle) and loud cacophony of voices, the food was pretty good. I stayed away from the American fare and stuck with Mexican. My huevos rancheros was cooked to order. It was a bit too runny, but their signature smoked salsa added flavor. I enjoyed the cheese enchiladas wrapped with blue corn tortillas and the make your own taco bar. Their pre-made guac didn't even come close to the guac we had when we had tableside service. The rasberry bread pudding was good but the flan was too sweet and I didn't taste any essence of blood orange. My timing was off, because the two times I went to the buffet, I always felt like I was scraping the bottom of the pan, which detracted from the overall "oooh" factor. In fact, I felt like I was eating someone else's left overs. If I went back, I would ensure that it was not during a rush or holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment