Monday, April 9, 2012

1398--slow going

I've been traveling a lot and have been very negligent in my mexican food eating and reviewing. In fact, I can't remember exactly when I went to Salsa Tex Mex. It could have been 5-6 weeks ago.

Salsa Tex Mex
Plano, Texas


I would have passed on this small no-name restaurant hidden in another generic strip mall, if it weren't for a friend's recommendation. I erroneously figured that if a proprietor couldn't come up with a more original name than Salsa Tex Mex, the menu would most likely suffer from the same lack of invention. I won't go as far as to say that Salsa Tex Mex is the dumbest name EVER.  Chi Chi's (which I was always told means big boobs) gets that distinction, but Salsa Tex Mex doesn't inspire great imagination. However the food was surprisingly good. The guac was fresh without too much lemon or spices. My son ordered the carne asada. It wasn't rare enough for him, but it was well seasoned and tender (which seems to be a rarity at Mexican restaurants). I ordered the spinach enchiladas with spicy tomatillo sauce. It was not overly cheesy or spicy.  For dessert, we split a flan, which was so creamy, it melted in your mouth. Not too eggy (I hate it when it tastes like custard) or too sweet, this flan was so good that we ordered another one to take home. It didn't even make it to the fridge. The service was quick and the prices very reasonable. The menu was diverse and there were other dishes that I would have liked to try such as the fish tacos and cerviche tostados. Also the tortilla soup looked good. Finally a neighborhood place I would happily return to!

March 20, 2012
Diggs Taco Shop
Dallas, Texas



Located across the street from SMU, this taco eatery is a popular university haunt. A new friend/SMU faculty member took me there for lunch. I had the mahi mahi tacos which were fresh, perfectly cooked and well seasoned. The cilantro rice was also quite good. The guac was fine--I'm just a bit spoiled after all my tableside guac experiences.  My friend had a taco salad and I was impressed with the field greens, rather than the standard iceberg or romaine lettuce. The homemade iced tea was a delicious fruit flavor and I drank 3 large glasses. Counter service was quick and efficient and given the amount of traffic, the place was surprisingly clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment