Tuesday, October 11, 2011

1418 Game is On--Week #8





Believe it or not, I was feeling SICK of Mexican food, so I took a two-week hiatus. I ate Indian food instead. Yesterday I took my son to Cristina's in McKinney, a few miles away from our chiropractor. Since there were no shortage of Mexican restaurants within a 5 mile radius, I googled a bunch to determine which we would choose. Cristina's (in existence since 1989) boasted a combination of tex-mex with authentic dishes. I realized that I don't really like tex-mex all that much. I don't like lard--the main ingredient of refried beans. Cheese enchiladas with bland ranchero sauce don't excite me.


The interior is beautiful. The server was very attentive. Although we went at 5pm when the restaurant wasn't busy. Guac was fresh but kind of bland. Joy of all joys--they had black beans, so my son could order a black bean and cheese burrito. The waiter raved about the black beans. My son inhaled them in 30 seconds and said they were rather bland. He then exhibited a rare, daring food sense of adventure and ordered a beef burrito with queso, which he said was better, but not great.


I wasn't super hungry, so I ordered a staple--tortilla soup. Edible, but mediocre. I tend to like my soup with a rich broth. This one was a bit bland, with more of a tomato base and less chicken. I don't like big chunks of things in my soup--it tells me that the cook was too lazy to chop the red peppers, onions and chicken (which was a bit stringy).

Sometimes I think writing art criticism has ruined me of ever appreciating art again. Perhaps the same is true for food writing. Am I doomed to experience nothing but mediocrity? One disappointment after another? And since I'm not an official food critic, I have to PAY for all the mediocre food.

No comments:

Post a Comment