Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Big 25!

Uncle Julios
Addison, TX


Most of you know that I'm a transplanted Northeasterner. What most of you don't know is that my family is originally from Texas--Dallas to be specific. I lived here until I was 5. I still have first cousins-once-removed, second cousins, second cousins-once-removed, etc...in the area. Cousins on both sides of the family have been telling me that Uncle Julios is a good dependable Mexican restaurant. I've put off going, since I figured I needed one or more cousins with me for the experience. I celebrated my belated bday with various cousins yesterday at Uncle Julios and true to their word, I was not disappointed.

The Addison location has two lovely outdoor courtyards. Despite the fact, that it's directly off the Tollway, I didn't hear any car noise. It was one of those lovely PRE-SUMMER days (meaning less than 100 degrees with a breeze).


Chips were light and salty--just the way I like them. Salsa had a slight smoked flavor. I ordered fish tacos with a side of guac and my cousins ordered chicken fajitas. My fish tacos had a creamy cilantro sauce and were served with cilantro rice and black beans. How refreshing to not have lard sitting in my stomach after eating beans and rice. The fish had a crispy exterior and was moist and flaky inside. Not fishy. The guac was fresh and had chunks of avocado in it. (Always a good sign.)

I asked my cousins what made the fajitas better than other Mexican restaurants. They replied that the chicken breast was tender (all breast meat, marinated with a pronounced, but balanced grill flavor). Other restaurants sometimes skimp on the breast meat or overcook it. Nothing worse than chewy, tough chicken.

The server was attentive without being too overbearing. They brought me a carmel fried ice cream for my bday. Sometimes it's difficult to separate the food from the experience, especially when it begins to all run together after 25 or so restaurants. But I'd go back, especially with my cousins!

No comments:

Post a Comment