Wednesday, May 9, 2012

24 down, 1394 to go




Don Taco Tex Mex (no website)
Roanoke, TX

Notice they are hiring

My son is a wrestler. What this means is that most Friday evenings, he skips dinner to ensure he makes weight for Saturday morning weigh-ins. At 7:45am every Saturday morning (November-May), we search for the nearest breakfast joint. A ravenous, tired teenaged boy does not make the best meal companion. I have briefly considered creating a new blog dedicated to Saturday morning pre-wrestling tournament breakfast pig-outs. But it seems that my readership might be a bit….limited.

Last Saturday, my husband’s crackberry recommended a placed called the Blue Hangar, which was “just up the road.” I should know by now, that just up the road is code for 60 MILES  in Texas vernacular. We drove around for 40 minutes in cattle country,  just outside of Trophy, Texas (home to the Stepford a.k.a. trophy wife capital of the country*). Airport hangar, but no Blue Hangar. We did see a few planes take off. 

Gearing up for Cinco de Mayo
Back in town, we stop at Don Taco Tex Mex that is miraculously open for breakfast. A very cheerful waitress greets us. We are the only customers. I order my favorite dish—huevos rancheros and my son orders eggs and chorizo. There was menudo on the menu. I’m always told if the restaurant has menudo, it’s the REAL DEAL. But the thought of eating pig intestines at 8am was not palatable.

The rancheros sauce had a spicy kick to it. The eggs were done perfectly—runny, but not too runny. The dishes were served with potatoes and beans. I ordered a side of guac and while it wasn’t tableside (I’m definitely a guac snob now), it was freshly made.  My son who is a purist and doesn’t like his foods co-mingled, initially balked at having the eggs MIXED with the chorizo. But he said the flavor was good.

I would definitely go back. The service was excellent. Probably not the best meal to eat pre-wrestling, but since all I had to do was sit on a bench, it was fine for me. And I was full for 10 hours!

*note--I don't have the trophy wife stats, but based on all the jogging young moms, I am rather confident in my assessment.


No comments:

Post a Comment