Sunday, May 26, 2013

#43 Javier's--a special occasion indulgence

Javier's Gourmet Mexicano

Dallas, TX

Quite possibly Javier's has ruined me for any other Mexican food experience. Although it is a large restaurant, there are many small dining rooms scattered throughout, so that each diner has an intimate experience. The decor is a mixture of Mexican elegance with some big game trophies on the wall.  A strange combination, but it works. The lights are low which adds to the romantic ambience. Serving the Dallas area for over 30 years, Javier's is a city tradition. I can't believe it took me almost two years to go there.
The full-sized bear is the restaurant's mascot.

My entire meal was decadent starting with the chips and salsa, which were served with whipped butter. I don't typically dip my chips in butter, but my friend convinced me that it was quite a sensory sensation. The waiter told me that it was just butter, but I'm convinced it was a special butter. Land O'Lakes never tasted as good. My favorite salsa was the green tomatillo. The waiter gave up the secret ingredients after a bit of prodding--cilantro, worchestershire, and cinnamon.

Although I'm not a big meat eater, my friend insisted that I try the Filete Pimenta--a steak served with pepper sauce. I ordered it rare and it melted in my mouth. It was so rich that I only ate half. I had some served cold this morning for breakfast and it was just as delicious cold. The steak was served with creamed spinach--again I swear there was a special ingredient. Maybe a dash of cinnamon. Not too heavy on the cream.

outdoor patio
My friend ordered the Red Snapper Mojo De Ajo, which was served in a lemon garlic sauce. It was tender and perfectly flavored. One bite was not enough, so I begged for another.

I forgot to mention that the top-shelf margaritas were very tasty--still not as good as Cantina Laredo's, but they packed a punch. The only disappointment was the guac--no tableside and it lacked any real panche.

Javier's is pricey, but worth it for a special splurge or indulgence. The restaurant was filled to capacity on Saturday night and judging by Javier's $300,000 McLaren sports car parked out front, his business is flourishing.

Humidor. Javier's is known for the cigar bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment