Sunday, August 26, 2012

#32 Swoon

Benitos (no website)
Ft. Worth

My friend who runs the Ft. Worth Contemporary Gallery at TCU recommended Benitos. We received such a warm welcome when we arrived. Our server greeted us at the door and quickly ushered us to a table. She was very attentive and friendly.

The menu is quite extensive with fish and meat dishes, but once I saw that there was MOLE sauce, I couldn't entertain any other option.

Chips--light and salty, just the way I like them.

Salsa--served a homemade pica de gallo salsa and another spicier one with roasted tomatoes and chilis. Another complaint I've had about many of the restaurants is how thin the salsa is. This salsa was thick with chunks of veggies and herbs. The flavor was complex with an after-kick of spiciness. Hands down the best salsa I've had ANYWHERE. I could have drank it down like gazpacho.

Guac--Fresh. As my son would say, its too avocadoey. But isn't that the point? I like a little spice and lime in my guac, but I'd sooner trade the lime and spice for really fresh avocados. I solved my problem by drizzling the smoky salsa on my guac.





table cloth pattern

Tortilla Soup--we received a complimentary bowl of tortilla soup with our meal. It was tomato-based. I liked the flavor of the broth, but prefer chicken stock with no tomato.

Mole--I special ordered a plate with one green mole sauce enchilada and one red sauce enchilada. I ordered spinach, but got chicken instead. I was in such a swoon over the red mole sauce that I didn't care. I've only seen mole at a handful of restaurants. I've sampled it at La Cocina & Mattitos. (both places made special orders for me with spinach enchiladas). This mole sauce is Hands Down the BEST I've had since I've been in Texas. My complaint at other places is that the mole isn't rich enough--not enough chocolate or chilis. It reminded me of the mole I learned to make while living in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico one summer. The green mole tasted like a tomatillo sauce.

They even made me a special margarita with Don Julio tequila. I requested one that had mild taste with pronounced lime flavor.

My mole-induced swoon lasted the whole way home. My son was very upset that I went to a Mexican food restaurant without him. So I've promised to go back and eat MORE MOLE this time with spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment